Re: AppData proposal

Em Wed, 2013-08-21 às 15:13 +0100, Richard Hughes escreveu:
On 21 August 2013 15:00, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
There are cases where you'd want a different name in an software
center to the search term in the shell..
Which case? I think any app that does that is broken.

TrackerGUI wants to be "Search" in the menu, but probably ought to be
"Tracker" in the software center. Similar for "Videos" -> "Totem".

The name of the app is "Videos" and it's a core application. It should
be installed by default, and non-removable (though whether it should be
hideable is something for designers to mull over).

Core applications can use generic names because they live with the OS.
Other applications should be qualified with their origin (so "Tracker
Search" in your example).

I also feel like the system of "describing this application" has to be done
in a common format by one of other OS vendors. Have we looked into what
Ubuntu, OS X, iOS, Android, and Windows do for this? Is it an XML-based
format we can share?

I don't think it's worth the pain of interoperability just to share 2
or 3 fields, but I'm open for ideas if anyone has any more details of
something suitable.

I think it's a good thing to look into if you want maximum buy-in from
third-parties.

Cheers