Re: AppData proposal

What about using keywords, like we are doing in .desktop files? Doing it can delegate the election of the words into translators, and we'll not be limited by developer's choice. In the case of "Tracker", I may look for "search", "find", "locate" etc, but in Spanish, for example, we would just use the word "Buscar".

Also, making this strings translatable would help users to search applications without having to know English. Thereby, you can search by the app name or by it's keywords

2013/8/21 Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com>
On 21 August 2013 15:00, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
>> There are cases where you'd want a different name in an software
>> center to the search term in the shell..
> Which case? I think any app that does that is broken.

TrackerGUI wants to be "Search" in the menu, but probably ought to be
"Tracker" in the software center. Similar for "Videos" -> "Totem".

> I also feel like the system of "describing this application" has to be done
> in a common format by one of other OS vendors. Have we looked into what
> Ubuntu, OS X, iOS, Android, and Windows do for this? Is it an XML-based
> format we can share?

I don't think it's worth the pain of interoperability just to share 2
or 3 fields, but I'm open for ideas if anyone has any more details of
something suitable.

Richard