Re: Potential GNOME IDE

Michael Catanzaro schreef op za 04-01-2014 om 15:50 [-0600]:

Netbeans defaults to the (slightly buggy) Gtk+ L&F on Linux.
Personally
I just change the L&F parameter to Nimbus and IMHO that looks pretty
nice. The important point is that it is a mature (and fully open) IDE.

Oh really -- didn't know that. But I've watched my friend use Netbeans
on GNOME just a couple months ago, and the menus, file choosers etc.
look distinctly 1990s Java-esque, nothing at all like other GTK+ apps. I
guess he could have changed the look and feel settings, but I doubt
it....

The file chooser is one of the widgets that, indeed, hasn't been
correctly converted to proper Gtk+ L&F. On the plus side, you don't need
to use it often in NB.

A picture says more than 1000 words, so here's what Netbeans can look
like under Linux:
https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/resource/inspect-hierarchy-in-73.gif

contrast with 1990s Awt/Swing:
http://www.pitman.co.za/projects/charva/images/java1.png