Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 15:55 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 08:50 -0400, Carlos Soriano wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org
Local Time: May 17, 2017 2:10 PM
UTC Time: May 17, 2017 12:10 PM
From: hadess hadess net
To: Carlos Soriano <csoriano protonmail com>
desktop-devel-list gnome org <desktop-devel-list gnome org>

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 06:36 -0400, Carlos Soriano via desktop-
devel-
list wrote:
Hey Bastien,

Not sure if you read the wiki and the workflow we outlined in

there,
since we mention how this works. You will realize that's not
necessary for you, neither a git-bz alternative since you will

use
just git:
- git-bz apply equals to git checkout remoteBranch

No, it doesn't. git-bz apply on a master or version branch will
allow
me to amend commits. It does everything but push. The above
doesn't
allow me to apply the same set of patches to a development and a
stable
branch for example.

Doesn't git rebase do precisely this?

I don't quite understand the workflow for users to create merge
requests with patches added, compared to my experiences with GitHub
for
example, so bear with me.

If I'm a registered developer for the GNOME org, or that particular
module, I'd create my merge requests as wip branches in the main
repo?Or as branches in a separate repo that I have the control of?

What about developers that don't have GNOME commit access? Do they
fork, play in their corners and then create a merge request? Does
that
merge request automatically create a branch in the upstream repo? How
do we stop merge request spam, or the unbounded growth of the repo
with
all the wip branches, if that's the case?

The workflow page is hidden inside the conclusion on the original page
that was posted:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/DevelopmentInfrastructure/GitLabWorkflows

So it's unbounded growth as the merge request branches are created in
the upstream repo.

<snip>
Do you have a link to the tool and its documentation? There's nothing
in the Wiki linking to it, it just says "a tool exists".

The tool is also linked from that page:
https://github.com/NARKOZ/gitlab/

FWIW, we should get to a point where I don't need to open my browser to
manage a merge request. I do this quite often directly from my bug mail
to the terminal, copying the bug URL and appending it to git-bz. I
don't think that anything else should be required, and most of it
should be automated.

Cheers