Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 15:55 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
If I'm a registered developer for the GNOME org, or that particular
module, I'd create my merge requests as wip branches in the main
repo?Or as branches in a separate repo that I have the control of?

That would be up to you. Choose whichever you prefer?

What about developers that don't have GNOME commit access? Do they
fork, play in their corners and then create a merge request?

Yes.

Does that merge request automatically create a branch in the upstream
repo?

No.

However the merge requests get added as refs in the remote git repo, so
you can fetch them locally:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/merge_requests/index.html#check
out-locally-by-modifying-git-config-for-a-given-repository

Alternatively, you can add a remote pointing to the fork, then fetch
that to get the branch to merge.

- git-bz attach equals to git push origin HEAD:fix2340issue,
then click create merge request.

Does this rewrite the commit message to include the PR or bug
number?

No, as written in the wiki you write "Closes: $number" and it will
handle things automatically.
Of course some addition could be done to do the rewrite.

Right, so that's not automated, and you can't know what to put in the
commit messages until you've create the merge request. Kind of a
chicken and egg problem.

The merge request gets automatically closed when you merge it.

The "Closes #number" is to associate the commit to the corresponding
issue (and have it closed automatically), not the pull request.

Do we end up with separate merge requests and bug numbers,
segregating users and developers? And yes, clicking a button is a
problem when

Yes. They are different concepts in this tool, which I though it
was an improvement. The bug is more about the discussion of what is
wanted/motivation/reasoning/design/etc., the merge request is about
pure code.
Not sure I would frame it as segregating users and developers
though.

As Jehan mentions, it is. Users filing bugs look at open issues, most
of the time, but don't look at merge requests at all.

Searching in a repo will give results both in the code, the issues, the
merge requests, the wiki, ...

--
Mathieu