Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM Mathieu Bridon <bochecha daitauha fr> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 15:55 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > No, as written in the wiki you write "Closes: $number" and it will
> > handle things automatically.
> > Of course some addition could be done to do the rewrite.
>
> Right, so that's not automated, and you can't know what to put in the
> commit messages until you've create the merge request. Kind of a
> chicken and egg problem.

The merge request gets automatically closed when you merge it.

The "Closes #number" is to associate the commit to the corresponding
issue (and have it closed automatically), not the pull request.

Can we please have the full issue URL there, either by convention (as we do now) or enforced by the tooling? In the best case, the raw number is inconvenient when looking up the issue from the commit (outside the web UI): "Select+copy number, switch to browser, go to gitlab.gnome.org, paste number" vs. "click a link". In the worst case it's confusing, because it is unclear what the number refers to - for example the github mirror will likely turn them into links to non-existent issues on github, and if we ever decide to migrate to something else in the future, you need to know which issue tracker was used at the time of the commit.

Florian