Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 02:02:43PM +0200, jtojnar--- via desktop-devel-list wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr, 2019 at 11:21 AM, Daniel Playfair Cal via desktop-devel-list
<desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
"master/slave" -> "leader/follower"

Please note that leader/follower terms are commonly associated with
exploitation of people by cults and should be avoided as well.

Within Salsa leader/follower is commonly used. Also often man/woman,
but leader/follower is more inclusive than man/woman as it doesn't
really matter who leads.

I read later in the thread the leader concept has bad associations in
German. This while the word has been introduced with good intentions
(within Salsa) as to be more inclusive (plus more accurate).

Renaming the master branch only within GNOME is a bit odd. As mentioned,
master has multiple meanings. For the branch there's a different
meaning. Mainline also has multiple meanings. If I ignore the ones which
make sense there's also various non-inclusive meanings of mainline. The
whole proposal feels like grasping at straws IMO.

I don't read every email but why not propose such a change to git? Why
only GNOME?

--
Regards,
Olav