Re: Good read from a new GNOME user

Having written the summary, I'll make a slight effort to give some
input on the points. I hope that, like the summary, they are
insightful.

I'm removing the points on which I have no strong/informed opinion.

Je ĵaŭ, 2019-05-02 je 11:01 +0200, Carmen Bianca Bakker skribis:
1. The desktop does nothing. There is no functionality other than on
the top bar. Specifically: There is no dash/dock.

The desktop doing nothing is desirable. GNOME gets out of the way.

The dash/dock is such a common pain point for some people, though, that
it seems worth it to (a.) enable a toggle for this and (b.) do some
research into what the default state of this toggle should be.

2. The status bar does very little. Specifically: Indicators like wi-fi
are hidden inside sub-menus.

2a. Connecting to wi-fi is too many steps.

2b. No battery percentage on status bar.

Slight agree on all, but do not know how to fix this.

2d. No suspend button.

Full agree. This isn't a problem on laptops, but on desktops it is kind
of annoying.

3a. It is difficult to reach the app drawer.

Slight disagree. It is 2 steps to the app drawer (versus 1 step). But I
reckon that most people's workflow will be (a.) using keyboard search
instead or (b.) pinning often-used application as favourite.

This would be solved if the dash/dock became an officially supported
feature of GNOME.

3b. Application names are cut off.

Full agree. This is annoying specifically for translations of GNOME.

5e. Bookmarking folders isn't discoverable.

Agree. Putting this under right-click should be an easy fix.

8b. Difficult to set custom wallpaper.

Agree.

8c. GNOME Tweaks shouldn't exist.

Slight agree, with a caveat. The thing I appreciate about GNOME is that
I don't have to go through a lot of settings to find what I'm looking
for. The mental load of using GNOME Settings is very low, and I like
that.

GNOME Tweaks is the opposite world. I don't need 95% of the settings in
GNOME Tweaks. But 5% of the settings are important to me. The problem
is: Those 5% are different for everyone. I would love it if my 5% were
moved from Tweaks to Settings, but that might just clutter the Settings
app for some other people.

So from a user perspective: Yes, it's annoying that some settings are
in GNOME Tweaks, and there is no way to know which settings are where
short of simply remembering. But from a design perspective, I can
appreciate that GNOME Settings is as clutter-free as possible.

With kindness,
Carmen