Re: Good read from a new GNOME user

On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 11:26 +0200, Carmen Bianca Bakker wrote:
8c. GNOME Tweaks shouldn't exist.

Slight agree, with a caveat. The thing I appreciate about GNOME is
that I don't have to go through a lot of settings to find what I'm
looking for. The mental load of using GNOME Settings is very low, and
I like that.

GNOME Tweaks is the opposite world. I don't need 95% of the settings
in GNOME Tweaks. But 5% of the settings are important to me. The
problem is: Those 5% are different for everyone. I would love it if
my 5% were moved from Tweaks to Settings, but that might just clutter
the Settings app for some other people.

So from a user perspective: Yes, it's annoying that some settings are
in GNOME Tweaks, and there is no way to know which settings are where
short of simply remembering. But from a design perspective, I can
appreciate that GNOME Settings is as clutter-free as possible.

Maybe "hidden" settings that have been changed (using Gnome Tweaks or
some other method) should show up in Gnome Settings after that.

--
Jan Claeys

(please don't CC me when replying to the list)