Re: Gnome Mail clients (Re: Is Balsa alive?)

On Tue, 06 Apr 1999 16:56:35 PDT, George Farris wrote:

>Congrats on your project.  I would like to throw my request in for
>LDAP support.  Obviously this will come later rather than earlier
>but please consider it.  LDAP is picking up steam and support would
>be a good thing.  Netscape Mail, Pegasus (to bad he won't release
>the source) and yuk, Exchange all support LDAP.

Perhaps it's related to a misunderstanding on your part of what I'm
working on (understandable) or on my part as to what LDAP is, but how
would that be relevant to a mail-checking library?  That is, all
libmailcheck is supposed to do is poll a mail source and notify
clients when there is new mail available at that source.  Isn't LDAP
a directory service?

In any case, if LDAP is appropriate, it should be relatively simple
to add in, as would any mail source; the library is designed to allow
new mailbox formats with a minimum of effort.  (And should only force
a recompilation of the server, not the clients.)  Once the code makes
it to CVS, I'll include a set of instructions on how to interface a
new mail source/mailbox format to the server, and hopefully people
will add their favorite mail sources.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal