Re: Assorted questions

>  1.) If I open gnumeric, create a worksheet, then try to close the app, I
>  quite correctly get a message box asking if I want to save my work.
>  Suppose that at this point I switch to another app which covers my
>  gnumeric message box, then return to gnumeric. I try to do something but
>  the message box appears to have some kind of modality and the app
>  appears frozen, giving me no indication that it is waiting for a reply.
>  This dumbfounded me for a short while, and it could easily frustrate a
>  novice user. Is this by design or am I missing something here ? Is it a
>  window manager problem ?

It depends.  Gnumeric should be marking the dialog as transient for
the workbook window.  Your window manager may then want to force
transients to be on top of their parents.

>  2.) I wish to attach scrollbars to my test app that uses the canvas. I
>  would like to browse some simple source code in an app that does this.
>  Any examples ?

If you are setting the canvas scrolling region properly with
gnome_canvas_set_scroll_region(), which you should be doing anyways,
you can simply gtk_container_add() it into a GtkScrolledWindow.
Caveat:  this will not draw a nice frame around the canvas.

Otherwise, you can use gtk_layout_get_{h,v}adjustment() to get the
scroll adjustments and connect them to scrollbars.  The test-gnome
program has an example of this.

>  3.) There appears to be a drawing bug/blemish in the toolbar of most
>  gnome apps when the width of the window is smaller than the toolbar
>  width. Check out the pixel in the top right of a docked toolbar. Can
>  anybody help me with a X windows magnifying glass app that I can study
>  pixel problems on the desktop with, much like Zoomin on win32.

xmag is your friend :-)

  Federico