Re: alien, packaging, etc. Re: Simplifying package installation.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Krishna E. Bera wrote:

> I thought the point of CORBA was that you have lots of Components,
> sitting wherever, written by whomever, and they are transparently
> called into service by the ORB according to Criteria that the
> Application sets.  Programmers create the Components, and
> Administrators install these Components and register them with the
> ORB, for any Application on the system or network to use.

Just to clear up a misconception that it seems is very common:

	The ORB is the library that implements the CORBA API.
	Applications use the ORB to perform common operations on CORBA
	objects, and indirectly to invoke operations on objects.

	The ORB is not a separate daemon that sits around for applications
	to talk to.

-- Elliot
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering!