Re: Multihead support in window managers

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 08:58:07AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> nrvale0@pop.uky.edu writes:
> >   I've just run across something that I found surprising while
> > dealing with an Appian Jeronimo Pro card. According to the
> > Tech. Support people at XiGraphics, KWM and E are coded in such
> > a way that they will not work multihead while older WMs like
> > FVWM* and twm will.?. Note that multihead, at least in Xi-speak,
> > is not the same as Single Locgical Screen(SLS). So I'm not
> > able to setup GNOME/E for the Profs. here at school. Does anyone
> > have more information about this? Seems that a GNOME/FVWM*
> > combo might work. What about GNOME/Sawmill? Is this something
> > that WM implementers have to look out for or is Xi mistaken?
> >

> GNOME won't like multihead much; it doesn't want to be on two displays
> simultaneously. I haven't tried it but I bet it won't work well.

All GNOME-programs workes as fine as any other X-program.  It's just the
gnome-desktop-enviroment that doesn't like it.

I used the gnome-panel and the first fvwm2 with gnome-support on a
AIX-dualheaded system once.  The panel only on one display but the apps on
both.  Worked fine.

/Erik
--
Erik Bågfors               | http://www.acc.umu.se/~bagfors/