Re: Gnomifying Tk

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 04:31:11PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> It is probably not that difficult to get the GTK signal model to produce
> Tk like events.  Also, with the GtkPacker widget, it should be possible to
> mimic Tk's geometry management fairly well.

Just to clarify -- you mean to create a Tcl extention that uses GTK
widgets instead of Tk widgets, yet uses the Tk command set (at the Tcl
level) so it's a drop-in replacement for Tk?

> All you really need is a bit of experience with writing tcl extensions, tk
> experience, and not mind getting aquainted with the gtk object system, and
> maybe reading the source of other language bindings for ideas.

Plus that magic ingredient, time.  :^)

Pardon a possibly ignorant question, but besides reimplimenting Tk in
Gtk, aren't there other things that need to be done to make Tcl/Tk
applications play nicely with GNOME?  I am thinking of session management
and window manager hints.  These are items that (1) could be done
without converting Tk to use Gtk and (2) would not happen automagically
if the conversion of Tk to Gtk you describe was done.

So, making Tcl/Tk truly GNOMEified is at least a two-step process:

    (1) Convert Tk to use Gtk+ (what you describe)
    (2) Implement the non-Gtk parts of "GNOMEification" in Tcl

and perhaps

    (3) Use Torb for any CORBA interaction required

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Zach