Re: MIME in GNOME

> MIME handling seems so basic that I have trouble believing that there's
> nothing along the lines of 'libmime'. I'm looking for some standard
> way to access mime-magic, mime-info and mime.types in the same ways
> that gethostentbyname() (with netdb) works for /etc/hosts.

Check the documentation (on a RH system):

/usr/share/gnome/html/gnome/gnome-gnome-mime-info.html
/usr/share/gnome/html/gnome/gnome-gnome-mime.html

Or, if you installed this yourself:

$prefix/share/gnome/html/gnome/gnome-gnome-mime-info.html
$prefix/share/gnome/html/gnome/gnome-gnome-mime.html

Best wishes,
Miguel.