Re: GNOME panel "menu" applet

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Tom Gilbert wrote:

> I've always preffered a simple text-file menu system. Much easier to
> manipulate with simple scripts/programs, easier to update/fiddle with, and
> you can do cool things with pre-parsers (see enlightenment).

I agree with you, but have one problem with simple text-file menu system,
need to be very good structured to be easy to add/remove items. If you
don't have utils apps to add/remove/edit items, will be very hard to
insert/remove items. ie. you are installing a new rpm, how the scripts
will install the menu item for this application?

> I definitely would like to see the "personal" menu combined transparently
> with the "global" menu. Why should I have two Applications menus, two
> Image Editor menus, two Internet Menus etc.

Agree.

> I don't care whether I, or a sysadmin installed the software, I don't want
> that sort of menu duplication.
>
> Also, many people do *not* use Gnome in a true multiuser environment, and
> therefore do not distinguish between "user" and "global".
>
> If a menu item in my ~/.gnome/apps has the same name as one in
> /usr/share/gnome/apps, I want my personal entry instead of the global one.
> This allows users without root priviliges to personalise the pre-existing
> menu items.

Sounds a good idea.

   -augusto