Re: GNOME Sound Server, was Re: GNOME sounds - which component

On 22 Jul 1999 20:29:45 -0400, Augusto Cesar Radtke <bishop@sekure.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Cody Russell wrote:
>
>> I wasn't implying that GNOME will ever use the ALSA daemon; it won't, as
>> far as I know. I told Elliot about the ALSA daemon, he talked to the ALSA
>> guys and then decided he wants to aim for something a little different but
>> said the ALSA guys had cool ideas that would be useful for the GNOME sound
>> daemon. I was just mentioning the ALSA project as a side note; however, as
>> far as I know the ALSA daemon won't be dependent upon ALSA, or so I'm
>> told. I was told that they're planning for it to also support OSS, and I
>> would presume that any hacker can add other sound APIs to the daemon.
>
>More one reason to make a integrated sound system, if all GNOME
>applications use a integrated GNOME sound server, when a new sound API
>become, we only need to add the support for this API in the sound server,
>if we don't have a sound server, all applications need to be updated to
>support this imaginarie new API.

esound already meets these goals just fine - it supports ALSA, OSS, and
quite a few other sound hardware interfaces. However, esound has some
other deficiencies, so a new sound server will eventually get done.

In either case, talking about an "integrated" sound server is sort of
strange - GNOME programs can use esound just as effectively as any other
program does, and many of them do.

-- Elliot