__panel widget as library?

Title: __panel widget as library?

> > The notepad would be part of your desktop. The notepad text would be saved
> > internally into the desktop file via bonobo.
>
> I understand the concept, but still do not see the benefits over having
<snip>
> Er...  Isn't this like Mickysoft's Active Desktop?  The thing that nobody
> uses and everybody wishes would go away?  It sounds like a really cool
> idea, but I think it is just really cool in thought, but not in
> practice...

Why not just have the possibility to dock an application to the root window?
I do not know so much about X-Windows programming, but you are able to run X-lock in the root window, why not other applications?

I would not like my desktop to be an Html browser all the time ( like the M$ active desk ), but being able to run something, sometime, in the root, might be nice.

It does at least look impressive to run a screensaver as wallpaper when M$ people come to visit ;)

Btw. Does GTK+ or Gnomelib contain a "docking" widget somewhere? Like, a widget where you could dock any kind of topmost window, or at least a special kind of topmost window.

...so you would be able to run one "container" application, and then let a user add "plugin" applications. Like tearable menus, but with complete applications instead...

// Liss