Re: GNOME plans (--> mail clients)

James Green wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Augusto Cesar Radtke wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Lubos Gelo wrote:
> >
> > > I feel that email killer-app for Gnome should be:
> > >
> > > - good looking (design and look is VERY important)
>
> Yep. In that department, OutLook isn't bad. MS has always been very good
> at UI design imho.

No, it hasn't. It has always produced interfaces which looked kewl and
trendy, but looking kewl and trendy and good UI design are *completely*
different. Outlook may look snazzy, but when it comes right down to it,
it is *very* difficult to use. Copying Outlooks features is a good
thing. Copying anything else Outlook does is not.

[http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm] (Outlook is not mentioned, but
this should be required reading for anyone who is working on a UI -- do
the things listed in the Interface Hall of Fame. Don't do the things
listed in the Interface Hall of Shame.)

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill