Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core jirka

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 03:10:49PM -0400, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  Log message:
> >  Tue Jun 01 01:53:05 1999  George Lebl  <jirka@5z.com>
> >
> >  * gnomepager.h: removed
> >
> >  * gnomepager_applet.c: ran through indent and sanitised small
> >  portions of the code, added the patch from Grant Likely
> >  <grantlikely@home.com>, added tooltips, and generally tried
> >  to change some things more to my style and tried to figure
> >  out what will be possible for reuse in a rewrite
>
> It needs to use a window cache like the Gtk+ DND code.  Right now it
> is doing an XQueryTree() every time, which makes it very inefficient.
>
> (Ideally you would want a CORBA interface to the window manager
> through which you could query it and get notification, but that's
> another story...)

I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no code salvagable from
gnome-pager. I just wanted to add a couple of features and make it easier to
fix bugs if I stare at the code a lot, plus I can use the thing as a testbed
for some "features", since a dynamically resizing applet is sort of hard to
manage correctly, I think I found the solution and it's in CVS now, it's
simple, and slightly hackish. Basically it makes the pager check for free
space around itself and doesn't exceed it so that it doesn't kill your
current panel configuration or doesn't go off the panel edge, etc ...

There is someone supposedly working on a separate tasklist only applet, which
would probably be good, pager and tasklist don't need to be tied together.

I definately agree with the CORBA part, however if you look at the current
pager source, inefficency due to XQueryTree is the least of it's problems :)

One "problem" however is that some windowmanagers will not support corba,
(this is a given) so maybe the very old idea of a proxy, it talks the
standard corba protocol and then controls the WM with whatever means the WM
provides. Of course if we had a nice simple WM which talked corba and did all
the neat things a gnome WM should do, and we could ship that, we could just
leave the proxy writing for people that really want to use that particular
WM.

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: