Re: i18n with autoconf but not automake

It is quite easy.  Follow these steps:
  1) run gettextize
  2) copy the contents of $(prefix)/share/aclocal/{lcmessage.m4,gettext.m4}
     to your aclocal.m4 file.
  3) In your configure.in file, add the following:
     ALL_LINGUAS="ll ll ll"
     AM_GNU_GETTEXT
     (replacing ll with the translations you have for the package)
  4) Edit your makefile so that it descends into the intl and po
     directories before building the program.
  5) Make sure that all of your programs link with $(INTLLIBS)
  6) Make sure that your "make install" target calls "make install" in
     the intl and po directories.

This should allow you to use gettext without automake.  For more info,
take a look at the gettext info pages.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au