Balsa and CVS

I started using balsa as my e-mail client today out of CVS. I found a
small little bug in it that I fixed. A small irritant that made one
have to hit 'check mail' twice for POP3 account mail to be shown on the
inbox mail list.

Anyways, I intend to mail a small patch to the author that pretty much
reverses two lines of code. However, this brought a question I've been
wondering about into a practical reason to ask. How does one get a CVS
account on the GNOME CVS server, and does having such an account allow
you to commit patches to any arbitrary branch? I've been programming
for ages and have used RCS for project management, but have never
gotten into using CVS beyond checking out development software.