Spanish variations and PO files

This question is oriented towards Spanish speakers.

Is it ok to use Mexican Spanish in the es.po files or should I follow
the Peninsular style? For instance: can I use "archivo" instead of
"fichero"? What is the current state of affairs in other es.po files?
are there regional po files, like es_MX.po?

Thanks in advance for any input,

--
Daniel M. German                  "Beauty is the first test; there is no
                                   permanent place in the world for ugly