Re: Gnome Update Manager

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 02:02:27AM +0100, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> Wouldn't porting APT to RPM's be the best approach, as AFAIK APT is the
> most advanced and full-featured of these toys, but depends quite heavily
> on the (otherwise excellent) Debian packaging system.

Yes, IMHO apt is better but not let's not get into that :)
I think you should code a thin wrapper that sits between apt/rpm and
the program, so you don't have to worry about the differences of the two.
You might also want to take a look at gnome-apt which is a front-end to apt
Havoc is working (?) on (Don't have a URL handy right now though).

Hmm, how about if you design a superior packaging system for GNOME that
surpasses both apt and rpm? If you keep an open mind it could be adopted
by other projects/distros as well. Then we might get a universal packaging
system (yay! :).

--
Sarel Botha

99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code,
          fix one bug, compile it again...
          101 little bugs in the code....