Re: Gdk-pixbuf savers?

Federico Mena Quintero <federico@redhat.com> writes:

> >  That sounds reasonable.  One other point is that while loaders are necessary
> >  for a wide range of image formats (so that developers can load pretty much
> >  any image), such a wide range of savers might not be necessary.  From my
> >  point of view, all that is necessary is a way to save a PNG.  Users can do
> >  what they want with the PNG, including converting it to another format,
> >  reducting the colour depth, or scaling it.
>
> You would still be missing
>
> 	- gamma information

take a dumb default like 1 as most of the hardware around does some gamma
correction.

> 	- comments

what are they usefull for anyway ?

> 	- ICC profiles

use sRGB :)

> 	- yada yada
>
> all of which are supported by PNG.  This is why you should use the
> image library yourself.

Yes, but it would be usefull to be able to save stuff easily without having
to care about such things: convenient defaults as suggested above would not
do much harm. Is the user wants to control these, he will/should use the proper
libs but most ppl who need a quick dirty saving function don't care about such
details.

just my ideas.

Mathieu