gnome-terminal hacking

Hi all,

	I'm wondering, are there any rules/standards about how terminals
such as gnome-terminal, Eterm, etc should work under X?  I've been looking
into adding a "layering" to the terminal so I can type without having
xmatrix nuke the text. :-)
	(i.e. background is layer 0, text is layer 1, layer 0 gets copied to
layer 2, then layer 1 is overlaid, then it's displayed).
	Basically I'm trying to figure out how I add an animated background
to the terminal, so I can have a different screensaver running in each
terminal without losing the text.

	I'd like to know of any standard document that covers such behaviour
before I start hacking.

-- DN