Re: gnome-terminal hacking

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 05:10:38PM -0800, Daniel A. Nobuto wrote:

> I've been looking into adding a "layering" to the terminal so I can
> type without having xmatrix nuke the text. :-) (i.e. background is
> layer 0, text is layer 1, layer 0 gets copied to layer 2, then layer
> 1 is overlaid, then it's displayed).

Many xterm programs offer a pseudo-transparent mode, in which they do
exactly what you mentioned, using the root window image as the xterm
background.  Recent releses of rxvt offer such a feature, and I'm sure
that there are others as well.  It's too cool a feature for there to
not be!

You might check www.rxvt.org for a copy of their latest development
snapshot.

I hope this helps.