Re: Autoconf/AutoMake

Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

> maintainer-clean should remove Makefile.in, I think, but I doubt it
> should remove configure.

Thats correct. From the GNU Coding Standards;

`maintainer-clean'
     Delete almost everything from the current directory that can be
     reconstructed with this Makefile.  This typically includes
     everything deleted by `distclean', plus more: C source files
     produced by Bison, tags tables, Info files, and so on.

     The reason we say "almost everything" is that running the command
     `make maintainer-clean' should not delete `configure' even if
     `configure' can be remade using a rule in the Makefile.  More
     generally, `make maintainer-clean' should not delete anything that
     needs to exist in order to run `configure' and then begin to build
     the program.  This is the only exception; `maintainer-clean' should
     delete everything else that can be rebuilt.