Re: desktop as a separate window (fwd)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:

> >  - no need to handle expose events on the desktop background
>
> >  - will not require a next-generation GNOME window manager;
>
> The wm-spec isn't gnome specific, and there's a lot of known wm authors
> behind the new spec, so getting a next-generation window manager with
> support these hints shouldn't be the biggest problem we face in the near
> future.

Indeed.

> I think it would be worse if we today use a lot of resources in order
> to support the old way, which just makes it harder to do this job, and
> then in 1 - 1½ year we regreed, because it not very extendable, and
> then we have to start all over again in order to make it right.
>
> >    the giant-window approach will require the in-progress
> >    window manager spec I think
>
> Now far is the wm spec from completion?

Not very.  Hopefully we'll be getting a final draft out within a week or
so.  For anyone who knows a bit about WM internals, the latest draft is
at:

http://ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~pdw/wm-spec/

and extra eyes to proof read it would be gratefully received, especially
if it affects software that you develop (toolkits, WMs and
desktoppy-bit-of-gmc).  NB. we're after problems with the current draft
NOT requests for exciting new features...

cheers,

Paul