Re: Integrate VMware and Gnome - continued

Regis> The whole purpose of prompting him automatically would be "hey
Regis> man, VMware has been installed on this system by your sysadmin,
Regis> do care? (yes/no) do you want to have Vmware icons on your
Regis> desktop (yes/no) do you want to have startup menu entry for
Regis> vmware (yes/no)"

This doesn't scale well.  Suppose that one weekend the sysadmin
installs 15 new packages.  Then on Monday I log in and get to spend an
hour wading through dialogs before I can read my email.

Instead suppose we had an application that would list all the new
things that have been installed recently (since the last time you
checked).  Maybe you could click on on item on the list to configure
that package (hook into the control center?).

This new-listing app could register itself with the session manager as
"restart anyway" so that it would appear next time you logged in
(subject to approval, just like the "tips" application you get when
you log in to NT).

Regis> What is the exact startup sequence of a Gnome session? Is there
Regis> a way (read: a parameter to modify) to make it execute
Regis> arbitrary code (read: VMware code)?

Not easily.  One could be added, but I'm not convinced it is needed.

Tom