Re:Why the size of the title bar, was Re: How do I compute the size of the title bar?

> No, it is the job of libgnomeui and gtk/gdk actually (with the help of
> the windows manager, of course).  The window manager does not get the
> geometry spec, it only gets the hints from the app, via X11 (correct
> me if I am wrong).

Doh, you're totally correct about not getting the geometry spec, it's
up to the application(or maybe in this case the libraries that the
application links with).  I don't know what kind of drugs I was on.
In this case, I think, it's the job of which ever lib handles the
geometry line(IMO it would be gdk, since gtk_init() calls gdk_init()
which should parse out the geometry line from argc and argv).  I
haven't looked yet, but it should be possible to add this to gdk.
Maybe I'll attempt it later tonight.

> I assume you know about win_gravity. ONce I know that I need, say,
> SouthEastGravity, the problem becomes how to pass this gravity to the
> windows manager. In Gnome/gtk/gdk there does not seem to be a way to
> do it for the application window. They are all assumed to be
> NorthWestGravity.

Well, X applications do not have a standard way of passing gravity to
an application.  And for some applications it may not be very useful,
or detrimental to the way the program acts.  I think there should be
ways to pass gravity to GDK/GTK(not sure if they do or not), but not
from the command line, unless the application explicitly supports
that itself, using GDK/GTK calls.

Now for a question of my own.  I know this isn't the gdk list, but I
thought I'd ask anyway.  Has anyone successfully written an X11
program using ONLY GDK?  I cannot seem to get the gdk_event_get() call
to block for events like it should.  And even using XNextEvent()
doesn't give me any ConfigureNotify or Expose events for the window I
tried creating with gdk.  If anyone has some code for a simple program
that just sticks up an empty window and handles events for it, using
only gdk, I'd really like to see it.

Ted