panel question

Hey all, what exactly are the files in ~/.gnome/panel.d/defaults for?
I've fixed the gnome-pager so that it saves preferences, however, I
want to make sure, before submitting the patch, that I'm doing it the
Gnome way.  Is it okay to save individual applet prefences in
~/.gnome(in this case, ~/.gnome/gnome_pager) like applications?  I
noticed the code for gnome-pager was trying to push privcfgpath and
write preferences to a section called stuff.  I found out that this
privcfgpath goes to ~/.gnome/panel.d/defaults.  When I did a grep in
that directory, I found not just one file that contained the section
stuff, but many.  What exactly is this directory for?  I've looked at
the files and it seems like the preferences for a lot of applets are
put in here, but no logical order to it all and often duplicated and
appearing in different files.  Could someone tell me what's going on
here?

Ted