Re: Application window size.

* George Farris (george@gmsys.com) wrote:
> You know one thing I find super annoying is having to resize an
> application **every** bloody time I open it.  Is there no way of
> doing this in Gnome or Gtk.  For example I open my home directory
> in GMC and am presented with a small window.  I resize the window
> the quite the application.  Next time I open it, @#$%^&* same small
> window.  Only way to fix this is in the source code.
>
> This is a problem for almost every Gnome application.  I'm looking
> at writing another small utility and I'd really like to have it
> save the size.  Is there a Gnome standard on this or is it up to us
> coders to implement or not implement as we see fit?
>
> --
> George Farris - VE7FRG
> George@gmsys.com

I think application size is up to the windowmanager. Your wm should
have tools to help you save the status of applications. Enlightenment
certainly does.

Apps may set themselves a minimum or a recommended size, but they
should not interfere with the job of the wm by specifying the size
themselves. Applications (such as netscape) who save and load their
own geometry aren't doing users any favours. IMO.

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |