current state of canvas and unicode text ?

Whats the current state of the canvas in relation to unicode text ?

Id like to be able to take a unicode string, set font size and
some attributes along with a recomended fontface and have some other
component do all the dirty work of finding a correct or near correct
match for me.

At the moment I don't really mind if the actual implementation doesnt
fully work, Im happy with just doing it for west european text with the
aspiration that somewhere down along the line it will all work ok when the
appropiate support is added into gnome itself.

Is there an api rigged together to handle something of this sort, the
gnome-canvas api doc on gnome.org doesnt give me an idea of the current plans?

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara           *  Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie          *  Phone: +353-86-8790257
Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action