Re: Missing parts of desktop

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
>
> > Also, we certainly are not saying: hey, don't use that damned lib with
> > gnome! Everybody is and remains free to use whatever he wants, we only
> > make sure, that at least one solution is available for everyone and
> > works well. Just like with window managers - gnome has to distribute
> > sawfish to guarantee that everyone has good window manager available,
> > but anyone not content with it can use his own.
>
> The analogy is flawed because the Gnome desktop requires a window manager
> to run, but does not require a game library. I think it is the

No, it's not flawed. Gnome desktop requires game development library to
stay alive.

> responsibility of the other members of the community (i.e. those who
> actually hack on serious games, in the case of the game library) to
> provide one or more solutions that are available for everyone and work
> well.

The things are not so simple unfortunately. Not every library fits well in
gnome framework. Most general libraries tend to be either too general to
be usable, or try to do everything itself.

My point remains: If I want to write game for gnome desktop, most people
cannot install it.

Lauris