Re: Why GTK+ vs. GNOME?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:37:11 -0400, Sean Middleditch said:
> >  OK, this is really naive question, but its been on my mind...
> >
> >  For the developers who don't want to use GNOME libraries, but DO want to
> >  use GTK+, what is your main reason for not wanting GNOME?
>
> Do you use KDE?
> If you don't, would you install KDE to use KDE apps?
> ..I wouldn't.

I do. Seems logical to me...
The whole KDE is too fat to use...
Linux + X + Sawmill takes about 24 meg of ram on my machine...
Linux + X + KDE take about 60 meg of ram on my machine...
Linux + X + KDE + Star Office + cache + buffers...
Makes my 128 meg machine start to swap...
That is ridiculous.

On the other hand, in a day of 10 gig minimum hard drives...
The disk space required by the KDE libs is pretty well a non-factor...
I like some of the KDE apps.

OMHO