Re: glade starting points? (Re: What's wrong with VDKBuilder?)

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, kevin lyda wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 12:06:18PM -0400, Matthew Berg wrote:
> > Glade, on the other hand, will generate C, C++, Ada95, Perl or
>
> ada95?  stop the insanity!

Having not programmed in Ada myself, I can't really comment. But hear tell
its not as bad as I'd think it to be. :)

> > Eiffel.  And the C++ toolkit that it generates for, GTK--, is shipped with
> > the major distributions, including Helix Gnome.
>
> i'm very interested in this.  can anyone recommend a good spot to start
> for a command line junkie/developer.  i have a project i want to do
> but it has a gooey component.  before i release it i want at least a
> first pass at the gui, so i want it done in a way that will make a
> *good* starting point for a *real* gui developer (and not the ugly
> stuff i slap together when required).

What language are you writing it in?  You might want to consider not
hard-coding the GUI at all.  Just build the interface with glade, save it
as XML and load it from that. Then if someone takes over the GUI, they can
just modify the XML file, or generate a new one, as long as they specify
the same callbacks.

Matt