Re: patches and responses...

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 08:20:50PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> kevin lyda <kevin@suberic.net> writes:
> > On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 05:57:42PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > So my suggestion is to set up a cron job that mails the people listed
> > > as authors of gnome-terminal once per week. Seriously.
> >
> > er, i just want to submit a few lines of code, i don't want to spam
> > people.  can i quote you on this?
> >
> > wait, this is silly,
> >
> > i think that's a very sorry state of affairs.  i don't want to rile people
> > up, but i'm hearing from more than a few people that gnome development
> > is very cliquish and closed.  that doesn't bode well for the project.
> > when i went to uni i mainly used bsd boxen and after uni dug about and
> > finally found freebsd.
>
> Yeah I agree. The problem is that some packages are essentially
> unmaintained. There are several forms of this: a) the original
> maintainer disappeared b) there are so many maintainers that none of
> them has clear responsibility so no one does anything c) no one is
> sure who the maintainer is. gnome-terminal is probably b) or
> c).

I have had exactly the same problem - I have two patches for
gnome-terminal, and I've publicised them on this list, and put them in
the Helixcode bugtracker, and I have had no response.

I've copied this to the 3 people listed as primary authors in
gnome-terminal.c - perhaps they could indicate whether they are still
maintaining gnome-terminal?

My patches are available in the HelixCode tracker as #1655 and #1654.

cheers,

Paul