Re: gsu (Was Re: More Political Stuff)

>     Sean> Also, GNU/Linux isn't even close to ready for the desktop.
>     Sean> Even if GNOME was complete, there are still way too many
>     Sean> problems.  The whole issue of "root" for example is
>     Sean> confusing to newbies.  You'd be better off developing a
>     Sean> stable gnome-su and whatnot so that there is never a need to
>     Sean> open a terminal and su as root.  If someone has to do that
>     Sean> even once, then the desktop isn't ready.
>
> gsu works now, it just needs to be intergrated into the release of
> gnome-utils. This would involve:

Everyone (leading GNOME developers) complains that gnome-libs aren't
secure enough for gsu like app when a distribution like Mandrake tries
to include it.

>       Rename gsu-test.c to gsu.c
>       Changing Makefile.am to build gsu.c instead of gsu-test.c
>       Changing the name of the binary from gsu-test to gsu
>       A security audit.
>
> Hmm, other than the audit that's about 5 minutes to do.  If it's
> because there's no maintainer, then I volunteer.  I don't have a lot
> of time, but I don't think there's very much to do at this point
> (assuming no gaping security holes :).

It'd be nice to just have an option for items on menu/panel/desktop (for
the life of my I forget the name of them, and I'm in too much of a hurry
to check...) for "Run as User".  Then, I could add Helix-Update to the
panel with "Run as root".  gsu would just pop up, get the password and
run the app... 'twould be nice.