Re: Are CORBA interfaces immutable?????

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:31:43PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Nontheless, I think we really need to figure out some kind of solution
> for interface versioning. I think it's pretty clear a lot of
> interfaces being written now will have to change in the future.
>
>  - Maciej

I think that the COM way is actually pretty reasonable. Interfaces do not
change, period (implementations do, of coarse). If you need to change your
interface, then you rename it, perhaps deriving from the previous interface
if you are just adding methods, e.g.

interface IClassFactory2 : IClassFactory

Even if you have a guid based scheme to identify interface versions, you
would have a namespace pollution problem. It would be difficult for one
program to support different versions of the same interface if the module
and interface names are identical. I think that once an interface is
released in a "stable" package, it should be immutable.

Ron