Re: Are CORBA interfaces immutable?????

Hi, Ron and all:

Ron Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:31:43PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > Nontheless, I think we really need to figure out some kind of solution
> > for interface versioning. I think it's pretty clear a lot of
> > interfaces being written now will have to change in the future.
> >
> >  - Maciej
>
> I think that the COM way is actually pretty reasonable. Interfaces do not
> change, period (implementations do, of coarse). If you need to change your
> interface, then you rename it, perhaps deriving from the previous interface
> if you are just adding methods, e.g.
>
> interface IClassFactory2 : IClassFactory

Why renaming and not using the IDL versioning? This is the COM way. But IDL
defines a version number using #pragma directives within the IDL file, isn't
it?

#pragma version 1.1

and so on. IR identifiers are something like

IDL:Package/SubPagkage/Interface:version

Why don't use them? We are using CORBA, not COM.

> Even if you have a guid based scheme to identify interface versions, you
> would have a namespace pollution problem. It would be difficult for one
> program to support different versions of the same interface if the module
> and interface names are identical. I think that once an interface is
> released in a "stable" package, it should be immutable.

I agree.

> Ron

Regards.
    diego.

--
Diego Sevilla Ruiz -- http://ditec.um.es/~dsevilla/ -- dsevilla@um.es
       Departamento de Ingeniería y Tecnología de Computadores