Re: Some proposed package removals and additions

Matthew Berg wrote:

> On 28 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > 3) Add Mozilla
> >
> > Rationale: This will doubtless be controversial. However, Nautilus
> > depends on Mozilla for it's web browing functionality, and we have
> > previously announced that we plan to intergrate Mozilla more. Maybe
> > now is the time. Of course, this is worth discussing with the
> > mozilla.org people to make sure it's OK with them. It is pretty
> > certain we would have to ship a milestone release of some sort. I
> > propose non-critical level for this since we can always tell users to
> > get mozilla separately.
>
> I vaguely recall reading that Nautilus would be able to use either Mozilla
> or a GtkHTML widget to do web browsing.  If this is the case, I would
> personally prefer that it ship sans Mozilla for reasons of stability and
> size.

There probably isn't any reason why they can't ship a seperate mozilla
component for nautilus that needs to have Mozilla installed, especially
if size is your primary concern.

> And, to be honest, I don't like the idea of shipping something standard
> that can't (by design) fit in neatly with the rest of the desktop even
> when its embedded as a component.

They are talking about using mozilla-the-embedded-rendering-engine, not
mozilla-the-application.

> However, I've always thought of the XUL layer to be more of a bug than a
> feature, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

mmm...flame bait.

--Chris

--