Re: Some proposed package removals and additions

On 28 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> 3) Add Mozilla
>
> Rationale: This will doubtless be controversial. However, Nautilus
> depends on Mozilla for it's web browing functionality, and we have
> previously announced that we plan to intergrate Mozilla more. Maybe
> now is the time. Of course, this is worth discussing with the
> mozilla.org people to make sure it's OK with them. It is pretty
> certain we would have to ship a milestone release of some sort. I
> propose non-critical level for this since we can always tell users to
> get mozilla separately.

I vaguely recall reading that Nautilus would be able to use either Mozilla
or a GtkHTML widget to do web browsing.  If this is the case, I would
personally prefer that it ship sans Mozilla for reasons of stability and
size.

And, to be honest, I don't like the idea of shipping something standard
that can't (by design) fit in neatly with the rest of the desktop even
when its embedded as a component.

However, I've always thought of the XUL layer to be more of a bug than a
feature, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

> 4) Add Evolution and dependencies
>
> Rationale: It should be ready at about the right time, and GNOME is
> right now missing a good email application, a critical component of a
> good desktop. Also, many of the dependencies are shared with Nautilus
> anyway. I propose that we add this at non-critical level - we will try
> to arrange the schedule to fit in Evolution, but if it would end up
> delaying the release, we'd be prepared to ship without it.

This one I agree with.  :)

Matt