gtk-doc: getting doc from *.c files

I am trying to use gtk-doc in my own project. I don't, however, yet
understand how to get the function documentation from the *.c files
into the final docbook document.

For example, if I have the files test.c and test.h, this is what
I did to test gtk-doc:

# this generate mymod-decl.txt mymod-decl-list.txt
gtkdoc-scan --module=mymod ./test.h
cp mymod-decl-list.txt mymod-sections.txt
# this generates ./tmpl/test.sgml
gtkdoc-mktmpl --module=mymod
# this generates ./sgml/test.sgml ./sgml/mymod-doc.{top,bottom}
gtkdoc-mkdb --module=mymod

At what stage does my commented test.c file come into play, so
that I get the documentation into the docbook file? What am I
missing?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Björn Andersson

--