Re: GnomeAbout's themeability

* Jason Leach (leach@wam.umd.edu) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 08:37:41AM -0600, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> >
> > > I've heard plans about MegaTheme, a meta-theme for GNOME (that is,
> > > libgnomeui, but all the regular users think gnome == libgnomeui (believe
> > > me, I encounter this every day)). Would it make sense to make GnomeAbout
> > > use GConf to read layout values and color settings from a GConf data
> > > source? It would be really easy (I've made a test version, see
> > > http://cactus.rulez.org/files/gconf-about.jpg for a screenshot), since the
> > > last time I messed with GnomeAbout, I've cleaned up all the hardcoded
> > > layout values and changed them to CPP macros.
> >
> > I would think that any complicated about box really belongs in the
> > application.  I do not think we want to write a super-ultra-complex
> > about box.
>
> Hi everyone, I'm new to this list.
>
> I do agree, super-ultra-complex about boxes: not good.
>
> However, I threw up this recommendation into the IRC channel a while
> back though (should have filed a bugs.gnome.org wishlist item or
> something), it seemed to be received then though: What about adding an
> gnome-href into the about, so developers could add links to their
> homepage with the ease of just another gnome_about_new parameter? (And
> users the ease of getting to a programs homepage with just a click)

Does it need a change to gnome_about?

  my_url = gnome_href_new ("http://www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk",
                           "Visit the author's Website");
  gtk_widget_show (my_url);
  gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX ((GNOME_DIALOG (about))->vbox), my_url, FALSE,
                      FALSE, 0);

That's all you have to add to your about box code to do it. See the
screenshooter applet in 1.1.4 for an example.

At least as it is you could go ahead and add another, or something
else... The vbox provides you an area to play with, so I don't see the
need for changing gnome_about for that....

Just my 2 cents though ;)

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |