Re: Q Change a Gnome Widget

George wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 10:31:12AM +0100, Sebastian Jesus Blanes Lopez wrote:
> > > To be honest I'm not sure why we even have a calculator in gnome-libs;
> > > it seems like an application that has been widget-ized for no good
> > > reason (it's not used by very many apps, and it doesn't make much
> > > sense on the GnomeNumberEntry). I'd like to see both calculators end
> > > up in the widget repository instead of gnome-libs.
> >
> > I see certain utility him for financial applications, any
> > GnomeNumberEntry can popup a window where to carry out operations to
> > fill up the entry.
>
> I believe that the original idea was that someone was writing a quicken type
> thingie and said that this would be a very useful widget.  So I did it.  I
> think that quicken type thingie never got realized but the calculator widget
> stuck.  So it's whole purpose in life was some sort of "money" entry kind of
> thing.
>
> George

I'm writing order entry programs using gtk and I make a calculator available
in all the numeric data entry fields.   The calculator I use has a little side panel
that has buttons which insert constants applicable to the current numeric entry
field.   In other words it looks something like this.

+--------------------------------+
+                     345.6789   |
+                                |
+--------------------------------+
|+------------+ +---+---+---+---+|
|| Qty        | |   | / | * | - ||
|+------------+ |---+---+---+---+|
|| Length     | | 7 | 8 | 9 | + ||
|+------------| |---+---+---+---+|
|| Std Price  | | 4 | 5 | 6 |   ||
|+------------| |---+---+---+---+|
|| Cust Disc %| | 1 | 2 | 3 |   ||
|+------------+ |---+---+---+---+|
|| Prod Disc %| | 0 | . | = |   ||
|+------------+ |---+---+---+---+|

I think this is incredibly useful for our salesman when they are on the phone
taking an order.  They can be in any of the relevant fields and adjust it using
the other fields on the order.

I also have an RPN'ized version of this calculator for our engineering staff,
but it isn't as useful there because I really haven't had time to develop a
decent calculator widget (the one I have doesn't honor precedence and has a
couple of odd quirks).

So in summary - the calculator widget is valuable and it should be personalyzable.

Kent