removing toolbars from an app

Hi,

I have a couple of different toolbars, and I'd like the user to be
able to switch each of them on or off independently. Removing
them is causing me some headaches. First, I tried
hiding the GnomeDockItem for that toolbar. That worked, but
unfortunately even if all the toolbars in a band are hidden, the band
stays visible, so the app has a big grey  bar across the top. Next,
I tried the function below. remove_item_by_name returns true,
but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

void
hide_move_toolbar_cb(GtkMenuItem *widget, gpointer user_data)
{
 GtkWidget *dock = GNOME_APP(app)->dock;
 static GnomeDockPlacement place;
 static guint band,pos,off;
 GnomeDockItem *item =
  gnome_dock_get_item_by_name(GNOME_DOCK(dock),"move",
         &place,&band,&pos,&off);

 if(item) {
  GnomeDockLayout *layout = gnome_dock_get_layout(GNOME_DOCK(dock));
  gnome_dock_layout_remove_item_by_name(GNOME_DOCK_LAYOUT(layout),
            "move");
 } else {
  gnome_app_add_toolbar(GNOME_APP (app),
          GTK_TOOLBAR(toolbar_move),