Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

Hassan Aurag wrote:

> [...]

Everyone here, I am sure, wants a fully GNOME compliant window manager.
But that is not the whole issue as far as I am concerned.

How does Enlightenment and other window managers intergrate with GTK and
it's themes? The only ones that integrate GTK widgets and themes are
sawmill and wmg. The others require their own themes. If you find a good
E theme you either have to find a matching GTK theme or live with the
mismatch. If we want a consistent look and feel to the desktop, GTK
integration is a must IMHO.

It's kind of odd that so much work went into making E work well with
KDE, bugs included, but when someone asks if they could stop E from
overlaying the GNOME panel, that person is told that E code will *never*
treat a panel any different than another window. I think we have a
conflict of directions like someone previously mentioned. Thats just
fine with me.

> > Personally, I have no desire to use anything other than Enlightenment unless
>
> Neither do I! So these little compliance problems should disappear!
> I will personnally start submitting bug reports to E and Gnome about
> all those little weird things!

I did the same thing a while back to the E folks and got a rude
awakening. Hopefully you will have better luck. :-)
Not much GNOME can do about a non compliant windowmanager playing by
their own rules.

> > the others get a lot better, so I would be fairly annoyed if GNOME 2
> > demanded sawmill as a dependancy. I would be similarly annoyed if E
> > wasn't compliant though.
>
>  That isn't even an issue for me. I don't another KDE, I want Gnome!
> But I want to make sure we have ONE FULLY COMPLIANT WINDOW MANAGER
> AVAILABLE!

Agreed. I think we can still keep the door open for other window
managers but I think the default GNOME distribution should have only
GNOME/GTK compliant window mangers.

Just my 2 cents.

---
Dave Lounsberry