Re: Some general facts about panel and gnome

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:

> Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:
> > Just use URLs. This allows for integration with Nautilus or gnome-url as
> > well...
> >

> Do file URLs contain the hostname? The problem I'm talking about is
> when a person has a home directory shared between two machines but
> mounted in different places on each, etc.
>
> I tend to agree that we should just ignore this problem.
>
> Should probably use URLs anyway, will change that in the code. We are
> basically going to need gnome-vfs as a gnome-libs dependency
> eventually (especially if we put in new file selectors).

File URLs can definitely contain a hostname.

MC is in fact in violation of the Xdnd xpec on this point by
dragging File urls _not_ containing a hostname.

Of course, for things like a computing cluster where all
the machines see a uniform file system, storing your MRU's
with a hostname in them could be annoying. Perhaps we
should define some extension syntax like:

 file:$HOME/docs/myfile.xsl

for storing the MRU list.

Regards,
                                        Owen