Appropriate widget?

I need a widget for an application that I'm designing that is capable of
displaying thumbnails in an nxn configuration, where each thumbnail has
below it the name of the image.  I'm not sure if someone has already written
such a widget, or if I can massage an existing widget to do what I need.
Or, would it be better to use the canvas for this sort of thing?  Performance
of course is important (for example, there may be 1000 images listed) so
after the initial load scrolling should be responsive.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jason.